Wednesday, August 25, 2010

What Did You Think of Venus Raj’s “Major, Major” Answer in Miss Universe

A lot of Filipino pageant fans expressed their joy over Venus Raj’s placement of 4th Runner-up in the Miss Universe 2010. But some were let down by her answer to William Baldwin’s question about one big mistake in her life and how she tried to make it right. Venus Raj replied:
“In my 22 years of existence, there is nothing major, major problem that I have done in my life. Because I am very confident with my family and the love they are giving to me. So thank you so much.”
I thought that Venus’s answer was just a hairline better than Ukraine’s, honestly because while Ukraine had very good content, Anna Poslavska did not really answer the question about how she felt about airport scanners being able to ‘see through her clothes’.
The question, at least to me, implied that airport scanners could see one’s naked body. Of course, most of us know they can’t and Miss Ukraine said nothing about that and instead focused on the importance of security in airports and how such scanners can help avert catastrophes and save lives.
According to Matt in the comments section there are now scanners that can see your body parts! Oh dear!!! If that’s true then I take back what I said about Miss Ukraine’s answer. My apologies!!!
But then again, in her defense, I wonder if Anna Poslavska’s translator was able to include that implied idea when he asked her the question in her language. It’s not Ukraine’s fault if something gets lost in translation.
This bring us to something that many pageant fans have asked: Why don’t our candidates use translators so that they can express themselves better????
As for my thoughts on Venus Raj’s answer, I felt it showed her heart of gratitude; I could clearly see that she was talking directly to the judges for putting her in the magic circle of 5 and to our kababayans for giving her the loudest cheers in Mandalay Bay.
What do you think about her answer?

No comments:

Post a Comment